Re: Live in Agentina Feedback

3 is immense. Still haven't got through the full disk or 4.

4 is great, but it's the weakest of the four. Love 1 and 3.

Really Loved it. Being a old fashioned prog fan, Not been a fan of most of diggers output over the last few years, always thought a lot of the tunes took themselves way too seriously with no sense of fun but this one was great and the best release in years.

Discs 3 and 4 are my faves. That madarin park (?) party must have been something really special. Fave tune is marst - control room. What a absolute banger.

Definitely a more proggier edge to a lot of the tunes. Maybe the scene is about to finally turn full circle. Would love to know if it was deliberate due to playing in certain venues / to certain crowds or if its just what producers are putting out these days.

So top marks this time. Kudos :-)

Awful control   Broken physics   Horrific AI   Weak voice work   Poor textures.

And that's just Wally on the pull.

Wally wrote:

Definitely a more proggier edge to a lot of the tunes. Maybe the scene is about to finally turn full circle.

Define 'proggier edge'

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:
Wally wrote:

Definitely a more proggier edge to a lot of the tunes. Maybe the scene is about to finally turn full circle.

Define 'proggier edge'

At a track by track level, the tech house warm up stuff and the peak time techno he's played over the last few years has had a very sterile and serious sound to it with no heart or warmth - it's not 'feel good' or fun at all - most of it sounds like it was made by a robot - the tunes are mostly constructed of short four / eight beat riffs with the occasional bleep or bloop over them with no pads or backing harmonies in the background of the track. In the case of the warm up stuff, it's all about the hi-hats and percussion and less about lyrics and warmth and in the case of the peak time stuff there's no breaks or build ups - the tracks generally don't change much throughout - no breaks or peaks - they don't build to anything, the end sounds exactly the same as the start.

Here's a couple of tracks from "Live In Slovenia" that illustrate what I'm talking about (I think, I just grabbed them by looking at the tracklists on google) - I didn't buy it precisely because it was the kind of sound I don't like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lD5PWVcRUQ - it's just the same (unpleasant) riff constantly with hi-hats coming in and out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=451USiOxZTM - same percussive hi hats sound all the way through, a tiny break, then back to the same beats that have been used in the entire track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AWrcn2evBs - "That's just noise" - Alan Partridge

Compare that to three tracks off "Live In Argentina":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Yj8nCdRiQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x5YUxHiu8w - nearly had me punching the air at my desk at work lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukm64HDhQJU

all three are uplifting and feel good tracks and there's a complete world of difference so I guess that's what I mean by "proggier edge"

On a set by set level, while the mixing has remained consistent at it's high level and it's hard to put things into context since you generally have to be at the event to appreciate things properly, for a while there was a lot of sets released that I went through and realized the end of the set sounded exactly the same as the start of the set - the tunes were completely interchangeable and there didn't appear to be much set programming going on - the sets just didn't go anywhere - they got you into a groove but then locked you into it and didn't go anywhere or do anything - everything just blended into each other in the worst way and became monotonous.

That's great if you're into that sort of thing and more power to you - techno is generally based on repetition after all but I'm not into that sound at all. To me it's just boring and for the' too cool for school' chin strokers whereas I'd rather be down the front losing my shit (
and tbh I think most people on here are like that - that's why they completely lose their heads when a more melody based 'proggie' tune like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY91Tv6ht1U or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9oWl8lj3Uc comes along every so often.

Anyway, whatever floats your boat i guess. I enjoyed Live in London - the first bedrock comp I bought in a long time - and Live in Argentina is even closer to the stuff I like so whatever it is, lets hope he sticks with it.

:-)

Last edited by Wally (Saturday Dec 2013 11:56:32)

Awful control   Broken physics   Horrific AI   Weak voice work   Poor textures.

And that's just Wally on the pull.

True words Wally. I'm with you on this, I'm loving the recent return to melodies in diggers sounds, and the Argentina mixes are full of it. Much more enjoyable than the Slovakia mixes mainly down to the diversity of sounds as you say.

Melody is really nice, especially during the build up, but my problem is that in a club, most of the time, the baseline eats up the melodic bit, and what you're left with is an incomprehensible wall of sound. The good old simple, repetitive techno sounds good no matter where you play it, as long as it's loud.

Interesting comments Wally, thanks for the analysis mate smile

I think this has something to do with technology. Seems to me that over the last few years people have become obsessed with production more than content, and the Ableton-style clip based architecture within DAWs now lends itself to more loop-orientated arranging. Drums are now way up in the forefront of tracks, much more than they used to be. Pads, textures and sound effects are set right back in the mix using very sonically accurate reverbs, creating more subtle tones to the track, but the percussion is so dominant I wonder why they bother sometimes.

I wonder how many people work with push-button control surfaces too, which surely has a similar effect. How many producers now also DJ regularly, using Traktor or CD players which do looping and other trickery? I think there's been a trickle down effect since people stopped DJing using vinyl, I really believe that. This one sea-change has gradually caused an evolution in the way people make records. At the end of the day though, John is only selecting from a pool of what's out there, none of which he can control. If we want a more proggier sound to filter back into what he's doing, we need to get out there and make those records ourselves, and hopefully influence others to do the same.

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

True. Or John needs to start making new proggy tunes himself (if that's what he wants). I think versus is a good indication of where his head is right now, and it pretty well reflects the 5 hour Argentina set.

Best thing Diggers has done in ages, CD1 is like that dark moody prog he used to play years ago, sets the mood well, CD2 adds some melody and keeps it flowing while CD3 knocks it out of the park with some good old fashioned power prog, not listened to CD4 yet

Last edited by MattBlack (Sunday Dec 2013 03:44:52)

I haven't really understood the last three or four releases and just put it down to getting old. Transitions is great and I never miss a week. This is the first CD in ages that represents that music. I've found a lot of the last releases a noise to be honest and kind of gave up hope and had a lot of it down as a bit childish. This is more where its at for me. Loads of top tracks for starters and no Tom Rowlands type rackets.  Great work.

Part of the problem

Spotify doesn't seem to have the continuous mixes, just individual tracks. Anyone else having this problem? Doesn't appear to be all of the tracks either. The release info on iTunes says 58 tracks but Spotify only has 47.

Beatport has 52 tracks and the 4 mixes so 56 in total.

Last edited by dutchy101 (Monday Dec 2013 10:51:32)

iTunes has the DVD too, hence 58 tracks.

Guess I'll have to buy it on iTunes. Annoying the mixes aren't on Spotify

Feck it... am buying this one.  Good reviews on here.  Slovenia sounded rank on the samplers so didnt bother.

I've read that itunes is actually better quality these days compared to Beatport anyone thinkso??

Just found that they do have all tracks and the mixes listed but some of them are "unplayable". Wonder if it's a regional thing. Any of you outside the US seeing this also on Spotify?

Damien Kingstar wrote:

Feck it... am buying this one.  Good reviews on here.  Slovenia sounded rank on the samplers so didnt bother.

I've read that itunes is actually better quality these days compared to Beatport anyone thinkso??

yes compared to beatport's mp3s itunes is superior. you can easily see it if you compare two files from the same track in a spektrometer

Finally watched the DVD yesterday. It's done really well, but it was a bit weird looking at a warehouse rave on the telly sitting on my sofa. The intro was great though, Digweed REALLY loves Argentina. Made me want to visit, although holidaying there from Finland costs a few thousand €.

dubstar wrote:

Just found that they do have all tracks and the mixes listed but some of them are "unplayable". Wonder if it's a regional thing. Any of you outside the US seeing this also on Spotify?

Stop whinging about Spotify, you get what you pay for.

Have finally got round to listening to the minimixes for this. Will definitely be buying. Tunes couldn't be more up my strasse if they lived next door.

------------
Millsy , you're a board titan and beyond mere platitudes. Your contribution speaks for itself.

niton (Oct 14)

People faffing about just buy the album ffs, just over a tenner for 4 cds it’s a no brainer

When I play......no dog barks!!!!

Argentina is boss.

Saw Luke Fair and Roger Sanchez at Pacha Buenos Aires on separate occasions and it was absolutely heaving.

The mick mills, wing wang and Joe Blake were all mint too.

Grant wrote:
dubstar wrote:

Stop whinging about Spotify, you get what you pay for.

Def not whinging. This is the only mix album I've had this happen with so figured it was worth asking.

Excellent and gets better & better with each listen. Really sums up the sound that Diggers was playing late summer. CD2 on at the mo, that Traumer track is great.

SimonR