Re: Britpop.....did I miss something?

It wasn't really a change, it was retro, revival, a reaction against Nirvana, Metallica, Rage Against The Machine, American rock.

Allbran said that was their Camden clique's manifesto.

草泥马

Grant wrote:

I saw them at a shit-hole in Rayleigh in Essex called The Pink Toothbrush in 1991 - it was absolutely fucking brilliant. Saw Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine there a few weeks later - bit of fun that.

Pink Toothbrush......that brings back memories. Went a few times in my 6th form under the pretense it was an indie dance party.

Nice to see Damon and Noel burying the "Britpop" hatchet earlier this year, not sure how much more i could have taken,i ts been tearing me apart for nigh on 20 years

Find me on mumsnet.............#theporkswordsman

smallman1 wrote:

I hung out with Paul Jones from Elastica at a wedding in Colombia in May.

Top lad, Chelsea fan and a mahoosive KLANG.

That's pathetic Ed. I think the Biggest Klang Merchant Award needs to be revised before the end of the day. I met both Gallaghers in the Met Bar NYE 1997 whilst part of a group which included the production team for Texas.

Paul Jones? Pish.

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

The whole britpop thing was gay......that said, I saw Oasis at Maine Road and Knebworth ans still rate Definitely Maybe as a decent album

"I am the fucking club" - Flares 19.03.14

Edward Smallman Junior is more famous than the whole of Elastica.

When someone says Brit pop I think of Blur and thats about as bad as music gets.

Britpop was refreshing from all of the crap rock we were getting over in these parts.  I went to see Oasis play Maple Leaf Gardens on the Definitely Maybe tour in my first year of uni in 1995.  In classic Oasis style, Liam got into a row with Noel two songs in and fucked off straight to the airport, leaving Noel to do the whole concert solo.  It was fantastic and I soon realized that Noel was the talent behind the band. 

The one hit Britpop wonders who did 'A Brimful of Asha' opened.  They were awful.

Last edited by loopdokter (Monday Jan 2014 02:30:16)

loopdokter wrote:

The one hit Britpop wonders who did 'A Brimful of Asha' opened.  They were awful.

Corner shop, they only had one big hit and that was only down to Fatboy slims remix

MattBlack wrote:
loopdokter wrote:

Corner shop, they only had one big hit and that was only down to Fatboy slims remix

and that was shit

erik.b wrote:
MattBlack wrote:
loopdokter wrote:

and that was shit

The original was even worse, even Rouses wouldn't have been into it

loopdokter wrote:

it was an awful period for music in Britain during the Britpop ere and make no mistake - times were bleak

Part of the problem

In The Country (correct title?) wouldn't have been out of place on a Carpenters album.
Horrendous song. Same for Parklife.

La Nausee wrote:

In The Country (correct title?) wouldn't have been out of place on a Carpenters album.
Horrendous song. Same for Parklife.

I don't like Parklife the single, but the album is absolutely superb

Can't believe the Carpenters are being disrespected in this manner

"I am the fucking club" - Flares 19.03.14

I completely missed it, I was 16 in '89 and started to go to a few underground parties in old barns and warehouses and I don't even remember Oasis or Blur really, so yeah I completely missed it. Honestly didn't even know it was going on.

I went to Uni in '94 after 5 years of partying and that was really the first I heard of it, I just wasn't mixing in those circles before then.

But then I used to listen to people like David Sylvian, Hipsway, Julian Cope, The Bible, China Crisis, Terry Blair and Anouchka nd shit like that, so what the fuck do I know?

gIzzE wrote:

David Sylvian, Hipsway, Julian Cope, The Bible, China Crisis, Terry Blair and Anouchka

Jesus fuck.

He's just making them up, isn't he?

The latest Julian Cope album is boss, by the way.

gIzzE wrote:

I completely missed it, I was 16 in '89 and started to go to a few underground parties in old barns and warehouses and I don't even remember Oasis or Blur really, so yeah I completely missed it. Honestly didn't even know it was going on.

I went to Uni in '94 after 5 years of partying and that was really the first I heard of it, I just wasn't mixing in those circles before then.

Blur, as fake baggies, had one big hit in the Madchester era, then fell off a cliff. Loads of people claim to have bought Modern Life Is Rubbish before they bought Parklife but I don't believe half of them. Blur were really a forgotten band until Parklife in 1994.

Oasis didn't release their first single until 1994.

Really, you're the same as everyone else.

The only people who would have been 'into' Blur and Oasis before that would have been drinking in pubs in Camden or hanging around grotty venues every week.

草泥马

Beijing Dave wrote:
gIzzE wrote:

Blur, as fake baggies, had one big hit in the Madchester era, then fell off a cliff. Loads of people claim to have bought Modern Life Is Rubbish before they bought Parklife but I don't believe half of them. Blur were really a forgotten band until Parklife in 1994.

The only people who would have been 'into' Blur and Oasis before that would have been drinking in pubs in Camden or hanging around grotty venues every week.

Damon Albarn is from my neck of the woods - used to see him in some of the drinking spots we used to like going to (underage)

Underage drinking spots eh Strudders? Fuck me most case's try to hide their peodonistic lifestyle. But you? Beast.

Part of the problem

Blur are, and were, lightweight navel lint. Shouty, lower-middle class guff for students who read The Guardian on the tube and go to the V Festival. Oasis were the band you booked for a school disco when you couldn't get Blur. Pretentious shit-by-numbers pub rock nailed onto a laughable pseudo scally attitude that looked even more preposterous when the Short Fat One moved to St Johns Wood.

I used to piss myself watching their bass player standing in the corner trying to look as moody and controversial as Sid Vicious, only to resemble some day release half-wit who's lost his bag of chips along with his handler. I can only imagine what the crowd of delusional FHM and Loaded readers who attended their gigs looked like: Ben Shermans, pints of Stella and T&G haircuts as standard from the front row to the back. The only difference between Oasis and Status Quo was one extra chord, and Blur could have replaced Albarn with Danny Dyer and nobody would have noticed. A triumph of (no) style over substance and a permanent sun-bleached piss-stain on the canon of English popular music. Rubbish.

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:

Blur are, and were, lightweight navel lint. Shouty, lower-middle class guff for students who read The Guardian on the tube and go to the V Festival. Oasis were the band you booked for a school disco when you couldn't get Blur. Pretentious shit-by-numbers pub rock nailed onto a laughable pseudo scally attitude that looked even more preposterous when the Short Fat One moved to St Johns Wood.

I used to piss myself watching their bass player standing in the corner trying to look as moody and controversial as Sid Vicious, only to resemble some day release half-wit who's lost his bag of chips along with his handler. I can only imagine what the crowd of delusional FHM and Loaded readers who attended their gigs looked like: Ben Shermans, pints of Stella and T&G haircuts as standard from the front row to the back. The only difference between Oasis and Status Quo was one extra chord, and Blur could have replaced Albarn with Danny Dyer and nobody would have noticed. A triumph of (no) style over substance and a permanent sun-bleached piss-stain on the canon of English popular music. Rubbish.

You think The Doves are shit though, where on your shit-o-meter do Blur come?

Beijing Dave wrote:
gIzzE wrote:

I bought Modern Life is Rubbish on day of release - there best album.  I used to read the NME religiously - Oasis and Blur were all over it, even in the early days.  I didn't like Camden - there were, and probably still are, a lot of cunts round there - good for a mushroom run 10 years ago mind.