Re: Brace yourself for an acid revival.....

Recreating an old monosynth with just two VCOs isn't that expensive (eg the new MS20), to recreate an 808 which, I assume, would have to have had its own VCO on every voice (so 16) would cost a fortune. I heard one of these live the other day and they sound pretty spot on, you'd have to have seriously good ears to spot this from a real 808. The 909 is even closer as it's sample based.

Definitely buying one, would be interested to know how it works as a controller for stuff ITB.

sabotini wrote:

Recreating an old monosynth with just two VCOs isn't that expensive (eg the new MS20), to recreate an 808 which, I assume, would have to have had its own VCO on every voice (so 16) would cost a fortune. I heard one of these live the other day and they sound pretty spot on, you'd have to have seriously good ears to spot this from a real 808. The 909 is even closer as it's sample based.

Definitely buying one, would be interested to know how it works as a controller for stuff ITB.

The fact that Roland are still going down the virtual analogue route when major competitors like Korg are doing analog stuff says a lot to me.  Roland could easily recreate some of their classic range rather reasonably-priced and rake it in, but instead they'd rather put out the same stuff 'based' off of the ideas of the past.  Even with these, I'm not overly convinced.  I guess I'm a bit too much of a purist.

Got most of the 909 samples anyway, with stuff like Battery and Machine im not sure what the point of it is Imo

..that bloke works for Point Blank?

Christ, one of the poorest demo videos I've ever seen

soundcloud.com/unbroken1

loopdokter wrote:
sabotini wrote:

The fact that Roland are still going down the virtual analogue route when major competitors like Korg are doing analog stuff says a lot to me.  Roland could easily recreate some of their classic range rather reasonably-priced and rake it in, but instead they'd rather put out the same stuff 'based' off of the ideas of the past.  Even with these, I'm not overly convinced.  I guess I'm a bit too much of a purist.

You miss my point. You don't see Korg reissuing a Mono Poly because it would cost a fortune, they reissue a mono synth because it's fairly cheap to do. It's like expecting Roland to remake a Jupiter 8, they won't because it'd cost a fortune then people would complain that it's too expensive. Roland have reissued the 303 because it's a cheap mono synth.

sabotini wrote:

You miss my point. You don't see Korg reissuing a Mono Poly because it would cost a fortune, they reissue a mono synth because it's fairly cheap to do. It's like expecting Roland to remake a Jupiter 8, they won't because it'd cost a fortune then people would complain that it's too expensive. Roland have reissued the 303 because it's a cheap mono synth.

I'm with you on the cost perspective.  However, Roland haven't really rebuilt the 303.  They've taken inspiration from the original and made it an anlogue modelling synth - which is digital.

Korg at the very least are doing analogue recreations and foregoing the route of analogue modelling. 

I don't think the cost of recreation a Juno-106 would be that bad to be honest.  It wasn't overly expensive when it was released.  The difficulty is in finding parts that are suitable.

Shove acid revival up ye bollix.

Part of the problem

for those that were there.. i salute you..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdmQqUJXf4A

if your alive choci..still got me choci's chewns record bag!!

is andre behind the counter,so to speak, alive??

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Collectable-Choc … t/$_35.JPG

Last edited by EDWARDTHECONFESSOR (Thursday Feb 2014 05:30:55)

There's something wrong with me chemically Something wrong with me inherently,The wrong MIX In the wrong genes, I reached the wrong ends By the wrong means, It was the wrong plan In the wrong hands,The wrong theory for the wrong man,The wrong eyes On the wrong prize,
The wrong questions with the wrong replies. Wrong.

sure loopdoktor will remember this one..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2iGM01Mgx0

There's something wrong with me chemically Something wrong with me inherently,The wrong MIX In the wrong genes, I reached the wrong ends By the wrong means, It was the wrong plan In the wrong hands,The wrong theory for the wrong man,The wrong eyes On the wrong prize,
The wrong questions with the wrong replies. Wrong.

EDWARDTHECONFESSOR wrote:

sure loopdoktor will remember this one..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2iGM01Mgx0

Remember it mate?!   I fucking own it.   That's Chris Liberator's voice on that record.   We used to rip the piss out of him that he couldn't make a record without him sampling his own voice and it held true for about two years.

A couple other acid classics from that era include 'X-Ray, OK' and Kektex 'Inner City Junkies'.

You can't listen to that sort of sound without making a massive screw face, drinking a can of Wife Beater, having a dog on a string and living in a squat dealing speed.  Your squat being of course, the place where you'd hear these sort of tracks...

Last edited by loopdokter (Thursday Feb 2014 06:34:35)

Fuck me does it get any better? Me and Chris, Chris and me. I ask myself. Have I even lived?

Part of the problem

Dermo wrote:

Fuck me does it get any better? Me and Chris, Chris and me. I ask myself. Have I even lived?

Isn't the answer obvious?   It's 'Probably not!'.

Last edited by loopdokter (Thursday Feb 2014 06:47:24)

just got my 303 back from this guy in texas that offers a cpu upgrade that enables a shit load of new capabilities including midi. i was loath to have holes drilled into my beloved 303, but after reading all of the rave reviews i finally bit the bullet. i've had the thing out of the box for 20 min and it's nothing short of amazing. lots of shitty acid tunes to follow.

EDWARDTHECONFESSOR wrote:

if your alive choci..still got me choci's chewns record bag!!

Sunday morning KLANG time.

I once went on a night out with the Jackpot lads and Choci turned up. I'd like to say he tagged along with us, but it was more like the other way around. You need big bollocks to walk around Ladbroke Grove on a Saturday night wearing a kilt and Arsenal football socks, but there he was striding along conducting events like a charisma whirlwind. Big personality.

Last edited by flares_and_an_anorak (Sunday Feb 2014 03:27:58)

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

Finally got the MS-20 Mini just before the weekend I managed to put it through it's paces.  That thing screams like a banshee being tortured.

loopdokter wrote:

Finally got the MS-20 Mini just before the weekend I managed to put it through it's paces.  That thing screams like a banshee being tortured.

Great aren't they? smile

I took the dangerous first foray into modular synths just before Christmas. You don't know gear fetishism/addiction until you've stepped into this world. Great fun though.

I quite fancy an MS20, pretty impressive that they've got a multi-osc setup together for that price, most of the other ~£500 new monos are just one oscillator so sound a bit weedy.

Ceephax released an album last year called Cro Magnox and its absolute killer.  Check it out if you like your acid, nothing *too* over the top (see his earlier releases for that).

https://ceephax.bandcamp.com/album/cro-magnox

dj_todos wrote:

Great aren't they? smile

I've worked up this evil square-wave-based patch that I can't wait to use.  The only shit thing is I can't change the synth's parameters until it's recorded unless I want to take a pic of the settings - which seems to defeat the purpose.

My synthesis is a bit rusty, so getting the sounds I 'want' is a bit of a chore, but noodling away and getting instant results by tweaking knobs and moving the patch cables about is a lot of fun.  As I get to know it more I'm sure it will become less cumbersome.

sabotini wrote:

I took the dangerous first foray into modular synths just before Christmas. You don't know gear fetishism/addiction until you've stepped into this world. Great fun though.

I've always toyed with getting into modulars, but the thought of having to buy a shed just to house it all is a bit too much geekery.  I may build out a smaller one eventually.  I've seen the MacBeth in action and it's pretty wild.

What brand modules did you get?  What sort of setup?

I quite fancy an MS20, pretty impressive that they've got a multi-osc setup together for that price, most of the other ~£500 new monos are just one oscillator so sound a bit weedy.

I love that they're making the ARP Odyssey as well.  The Arturia MicroBrute is another that I fancy getting my mitts on.  It's effectively a MIDI-CV convertor too.  I'm also in the process of MIDI-ing my Yamaha CS01 MKII that I recently picked up, the Korg Monotron delay and the Gakken SX-1.  I seem to be heavily into the monosynths as of late.

If I manage to source the cash I'd love to somehow get my hands on the new Tom Oberheim Son Of 4 Voice.

loopdokter wrote:
dj_todos wrote:

Great aren't they? smile

The only shit thing is I can't change the synth's parameters until it's recorded unless I want to take a pic of the settings

Just photocopy or scan and print the sheets at the back of the manual Jay.

http://i.korg.com/uploads/Support/USA_m … g_2012.pdf

dj_todos wrote:

Just photocopy or scan and print the sheets at the back of the manual Jay.

http://i.korg.com/uploads/Support/USA_m … g_2012.pdf

Manual?  Hahahahahahhahaa.  I'm a man.  What is this word 'manual'? wink

It comes in handy that last page!!!

smashdad wrote:

I'm not that fucking obsessive; although I've owned a 707.  What a cracking piece of shit that was.

If I had a setup like that I wouldn't have a missus - which is almost guaranteed that this fella does not.

Last edited by loopdokter (Tuesday Feb 2014 09:21:39)