Re: Re-discovering old Mix Comps

Why anyone would listen to Sasha GU Ibiza 2 is beyond me.

Particularly when CD1 is so boss.

One and done. Doesn't sound much like you Ed.

Wish I was old and a little sentimental.

I rediscover Fortier's Bedrock once a year.

^Absolutely.

Wish I was old and a little sentimental.

Homegrove wrote:

Amen. Disc two on that towards the end is mind-blowing.

Holden's Balance is always worth revisiting.

Back To Mine_Nick Warren
Journeys By DJ_Coldcut
A.Weatherall/Derrick Carter & Ralph Lawson_Back 2 Basics Cut The Crap

That Nick Warren back to mine comp is great, recently also rediscovered disc one of his Reykjavik GU, perfect early morning listening

Most mix CDs are very much of their time and don't date very well but I spent a large chunk of a Sunday afternoon/evening a few weeks back listening to the Danny Howells and Lee Burridge 24:7 CDs back to back and it was an exceptionally grand way of spending the day.

rickster2k wrote:
Homegrove wrote:

Amen. Disc two on that towards the end is mind-blowing.

Holden's Balance is always worth revisiting.

Is Fortiers Bedrock available digitally anywhere?? Didnt get round to picking this one up at the time but always meant to and when some writes "....mind blowing" about it it doesnt half feck you off for not buying it.

Banned any CD buying a couple of years back.

I do like Freeland's Back to Mine...by the time he gets to M83 you're fried. Quality.

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

One of the worst dj's I've ever seen is Freeland. Simply fucking dreadful.

Part of the problem

Dermo wrote:

I told him once that I last time I heard him he was average, he was quite taken aback by it. Later that night he was immense. That was me told.

When I play......no dog barks!!!!

haha well there's only so many breaks I can handle in one night and he played exactly the same sounding break for over an hour.  At that point we all left along with 2/3 of the rest of the place.

Part of the problem

Is Fortiers Bedrock available digitally anywhere?? Didnt get round to picking this one up at the time but always meant to and when some writes "....mind blowing" about it it doesnt half feck you off for not buying it.

The end of CD two from Two Days On Lansdowne to Losing Wait is immense, best ending of a cd imo.

Dermo wrote:

his whole style is awful. funky breaks, or what ever. freedland, stanton warriors, the crystal method... music for people that like fat boy slim and the chems.

Yeh agree. I don't actually know why we went that night. It was during his rise to being well known around  the 7 nation time. Which I didn't like either. big mistake anyway and the rest of Sankeys thought the same as it was virtually empty after an hour odd.

Part of the problem

zackster wrote:
Dermo wrote:

his whole style is awful. funky breaks, or what ever. freed land, stanton warriors, the crystal method... music for people that like fat boy slim and the chems.

or put it another way, people that actually like a night out thats not too serious. The friday nights at Fabric used to be some of the most enjoyable nights out in London

or like evil 9, remember those guys? more of the same crap.

Yeh dreadful. Did one good track which is so good I can't remember it.

Part of the problem

rickster2k wrote:

The end of CD two from Two Days On Lansdowne toLosing Wait is immense, bes ending of a cd imo.

Used to like the end of van m cd1 alot with that vantage point track i recall. The fact i have creamer & k  bedrock and not fortier is a mystery.

Where the feck do the years go anyway.?

Beijing Dave wrote:
Dermo wrote:

Ibiza sounds far too fast.

Yeah, and I actually remember thinking Disc 1 was very subtle/downtempo when it came out. LOL.

Rumbling basslines and POWER breakdowns and girly vocals everywhere really.

Yea same here, I definitely was thinking "man these Raff n Freddy and MRE tracks are really deep and chilled, this must be 'deep house'" when I first heard it. I was about 1 year into the whole scene anyway.

Revisited Oakey's GU 007 New York CD1 yesterday.

Still tremenballs.

smallman1 wrote:

Revisited Oakey's GU 007 New York CD1 yesterday.

Still tremenballs.

Love that.

I think Holden's Balance is starting to date something terrible - listened to it a couple of weeks ago and won't be listening again for a long while.  I loved that comp.

GU007 has remained on regular rotation.

zackster wrote:

or like evil 9, remember those guys? more of the same crap.

Off the top of my head, Cakehole and their remix of Hazy Way are both absolutely brilliant so that makes that statement redundant already