Topic: The word Boss....

Was invented for this:

Re: The word Boss....

Yeah saw this the other day.  Fucking excellent.

Sorry, boss.

Always have a lot of time for this great song. Reminds me of two things.

My first flat, when I used to settle down of an evening with a phat one and listen to Whispering Bob Harris in a haze of green smoke, waiting for ace programmer Bob to drop this in amongst Santana and Fleetwood Mac for a quality retro buzz. Also, the summer holidays - early eighties - my dear old Mum used to have Radio 2 on in the kitchen during the day and many's the time I heard this classic wafting out along with smell of rock cakes and fresh soup.

Rest in peace Ma, this one's for you.

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

Boss is my favourite word.

And Toto's Africa is so boss it hurts.

Heard it at every Bugged Out NYD'er for years now.

Boss.

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:

Always have a lot of time for this great song. Reminds me of one thing

Edited

Old Queens Head on New Years Day singing this with a couple of hundred other like minded individuals at the top of our voices.

Prog God

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:

Always have a lot of time for this great song. Reminds me of two things.

My first flat, when I used to settle down of an evening with a phat one and listen to Whispering Bob Harris in a haze of green smoke, waiting for ace programmer Bob to drop this in amongst Santana and Fleetwood Mac for a quality retro buzz. Also, the summer holidays - early eighties - my dear old Mum used to have Radio 2 on in the kitchen during the day and many's the time I heard this classic wafting out along with smell of rock cakes and fresh soup.

Rest in peace Ma, this one's for you.

As whispering bob himself would say nice.....a rite of passage..

the old man when pissed enough  gets the harmonica out and starts playing long john baldry/ronnie lane tunes..but they all sound the same i.e the theme tune to old grey whistle test!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfKWPyj51vU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2R8sZ4SlXI

btw the 'alexis korner show' gets me misty eyed too.

Last edited by EDWARDTHECONFESSOR (Wednesday Feb 2014 11:06:09)

There's something wrong with me chemically Something wrong with me inherently,The wrong MIX In the wrong genes, I reached the wrong ends By the wrong means, It was the wrong plan In the wrong hands,The wrong theory for the wrong man,The wrong eyes On the wrong prize,
The wrong questions with the wrong replies. Wrong.

EDWARDTHECONFESSOR wrote:

btw the 'alexis korner show' gets me misty eyed too.

Godfather of the English rhythm and blues scene. Cap doffed.

Strudders loves this track. He was telling that once when he was living at his mam's, he curtailed a night out on the lash to catch 'The Hitman And Her'. So, steak and kidney Holland Pie, chips and curry sauce in hand he ran home to catch his favourite show. During the adverts, he flicked channels to see if he was missing out on any late night Jennie Agguter action on another channel but so happened to stumble upon Toto live, playing 'Africa'. And to top it all, there was a beautiful tall black vixen singing and leaping about on stage (I think Strudders used the word 'coloured'). What with his mam and dad up stairs sound asleep, Strudders thought it would be a perfect opportunity to knock a quick one out; trying to time it with the very last chorus. When it was all over, the song and Strudwick's Axminster carpet, the camera zoomed in on the singer and to reveal that it wasn't a 'coloured' woman at all, but noneone other than South African frontman Jean Michel Byron. Strudders felt filthy. And in quick need of a cleansing to rid himself of giving himself AIDS he ran upstairs to the bathroom to soak his micky in Domestos. Or in his mother's Steradent cup on the bathroom shelf. I can't quite remember which.

Keep it FLAC. Say NO to variable bit rates.

BTW, thanks for this Dutchy.

Keep it FLAC. Say NO to variable bit rates.

Bravo

"I am the fucking club" - Flares 19.03.14

Henry Rindhoops wrote:

Strudders loves this track. He was telling that once when he was living at his mam's, he curtailed a night out on the lash to catch 'The Hitman And Her'. So, steak and kidney Holland Pie, chips and curry sauce in hand he ran home to catch his favourite show. During the adverts, he flicked channels to see if he was missing out on any late night Jennie Agguter action on another channel but so happened to stumble upon Toto live, playing 'Africa'. And to top it all, there was a beautiful tall black vixen singing and leaping about on stage (I think Strudders used the word 'coloured'). What with his mam and dad up stairs sound asleep, Strudders thought it would be a perfect opportunity to knock a quick one out; trying to time it with the very last chorus. When it was all over, the song and Strudwick's Axminster carpet, the camera zoomed in on the singer and to reveal that it wasn't a 'coloured' woman at all, but noneone other than South African frontman Jean Michel Byron. Strudders felt filthy. And in quick need of a cleansing to rid himself of giving himself AIDS he ran upstairs to the bathroom to soak his micky in Domestos. Or in his mother's Steradent cup on the bathroom shelf. I can't quite remember which.

hehehehehe,an excellent  digressor post..

think this is a fine acoustic ditty also..

lotus eaters...'first picture of you'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjcW5PgYIak

weird ,the word 'boss' in london is only used by asain youths in tacky leisure wear and baseball caps that hang outside chicken shops.  "boss!!,boss!! ,yoo get me blad!!"

this one wont go down to well on this board, but fuck it..

editors 'all sparks'  nice 'ahhhhhhh' at 3mins 11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td_yP3pFnTg

Last edited by EDWARDTHECONFESSOR (Thursday Feb 2014 01:48:23)

There's something wrong with me chemically Something wrong with me inherently,The wrong MIX In the wrong genes, I reached the wrong ends By the wrong means, It was the wrong plan In the wrong hands,The wrong theory for the wrong man,The wrong eyes On the wrong prize,
The wrong questions with the wrong replies. Wrong.

As bossy as boss can get...

http://soundcloud.com/late-nite-tuff-gu … -lntg-epic

Last edited by smashdad (Thursday Feb 2014 20:16:25)

I remember thinking the tv stations missed a trick during the 2010 world cup by not going with this song.

Henry Rindhoops wrote:

Gen lol.

Henry Rindhoops wrote:

LOL

smashdad wrote:

As bossy as boss can get...

http://soundcloud.com/late-nite-tuff-gu … -lntg-epic

All these years and I never knew Bob Carolgees and Dierdre Barlow were in Toto.

Whilst these are all nice ditties, Bigg Snoop Dogg paid tha cost to be tha Boss.

You should run all Boss - related items past Snoop going forward.

Word

The 'drums echoing' are the primal, insistent, instinctual beat of his libido; the male equivalent of a biological clock that started ticking long long ago, in the jungles and on the plains of Africa before we were the species that we are today. We can tell that this will be the first (hopefully, in his eyes) sexual encounter between the two. His plan is to seduce her, tonight. He has invited her over, but has not yet told her of his intentions. He has talked to her without exposing his beating drums of desire, which is why all she hears is the echo of some quiet conversation, the conversation they had before she agreed to come over. On her 12:30 flight. Before she gets there, he has to run an errand. He walks down the street towards the corner store, guided by the arched streetlights hanging over the gutters like wings (!) to pick up a six-pack of Bartles & Jaymes, his salvation. Inebriation will  absolve some of the sins which he hopes to commit tonight, if all goes to plan. On the way back from the store, he is excited. He is ready to converse with anyone who might come across his path, including an old man waiting for the bus. The old man appreciates his exuberance, it makes him feel a little nostalgic for his younger days when he was excitedly anticipating the arrival of some young female. He (the narrator) asks this old man if he has any words of wisdom, any tidbits that will help him in his upcoming conquest. The old man laughs mirthfully as he shakes his head. The best advice that he can give is to hurry back. Though the young man is assuming he alone is hearing the echoes of the ancient drum beat, the old man knows that she's been waiting for him to make his move, and probably has been for longer than he knows.

So now we come to the chorus. What is Africa?

The Vagina. The immortal originator of all that we are. Where life began for everyone. The hot, sticky jungle that gave life to you and I that goes back all the way to the hot, sticky jungles of Africa, where we became a species. Africa is the motherland, the bounty, the life-giver. "The Dark Heart of Africa" when said aloud stirs semi-erotic images in the brain and erotic ones in the loins. She is the receiver and the reason for the beating of drums. Can it mean anything else? Are we to assume that we're suddenly talking about a piece of land when it's obstensibly been about a man and his feelings for a woman up to this point? I think not. I also think that 'gonna take some time to do the things we never had' is pretty clear, when you look at it this way.

Second verse:

The wild dogs cry out in the night
As they grow restless longing for some solitary company
I know that I must do what's right
Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti
I seek to cure what's deep inside
Frightened of this thing that I've become

Here in the second verse we have the other reference to Africa, Kilimanjaro and Serengeti. We'll get to those in just a minute.

It's here that he is becoming more consumed with desire. Earlier it was likened to the echo of drums, but now he is expressing it in a more primitive way, comparing it to dogs crying out. He's longing for the company of one other, the need for that one taking him further down the evolutionary ladder, to a time before he was man. He knows that he needs this to happen tonight. It is in the other reference to Africa that we must make our second biggest metaphorical leap. He has described a mountain rising out of a barren desert, and compared it to Olympus, the home of the gods, the kingdom of Zeus. If Africa, the Mother-God is the vagina, here we are shown the phallic mountain of Zeus the philandering Father-God. An enormous erection of stone towering over the dark wetness of Darkest Africa. His romantic quest is almost fulfilled, and yet he is now doubting himself right before the moment of truth. Is this what he actually wants, the stark physical act? Is he not the man that he thought he was, striving for the great love of body and soul; is he another wretch weakening resistance with alcohol? Yet again, I think not. He is not the wretch who will take the body without the soul. Although his entire night has been leading up the penultimate moment, the climax, the coup de grace, the old-fashioned romantic notions bring us (and he) back to why he has been planning this night. There is no one that could take her away from him. He will push back against the multitudes that may come to her. He doesn't just want to feel the sweet rush of rain from Africa, he blesses it. He blesses the giving of that place, her place, and he wants her to know what it means to him.

Hence this song.

http://dailyhummer.blogspot.co.uk/2011/ … pular.html

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Martin Luther King
Legs are very frickin important parts of the woman, thin ankle and tense bop is a must.
MateGreen

More Dom Phillips sleeve notes, I thought we'd suffered enough.