If I might be so bold - let me suggest there is a two-fold flipside to all the hysterical bullshit surrounding Moyes' first season at Old Trafford;
1: it clearly demonstrates how badly Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool underperformed last season
- City and Chelsea changed their bosses going into 2013/14
- City shipped out loads of players and bought big
- Chelsea shipped out even more, brought in a few but arguably on two 'star names'
- Arsenal shipped out shit-loads and only brought in four, again arguably on two 'star names'
- Liverpool let eight go and brought in nine
- Man Utd were almost stagnant - two in three out
- Chelsea now have 60 points after 27 games compared to 49 last year
- Arsenal have 12 more points this season after 27 games (was 47, is 59)
- City have improved from 56 points after 27 games to 57
- Liverpool currently have 56 but at this point last season had 39
- Man United had 68, they now have 45
- Man United aren't performing noticeably worse than Chelsea or Arsenal were last year and considerably better than Liverpool were
2: it considerably tarnishes SAF's reputation and legacy
- a kind of 'perfect football storm' basically meant SAF got lucky in 2012/13
- City/Mancini sat back somewhat after winning the previous season
- Chelsea/Benitez were a bit of a joke
- Arsenal hadn't done any business AND had loads of injuries
- Rodgers was trying to get his feet under the table and making himself look an arse for American documentaries
- SAF knew from a long way out when he was going and simply left behind a squad of players that are a toxic combination of too old and simply not fucking good enough
All in all, (were I a Man Utd fan) I'd be in favour of sticking with Moyes. City stuck with Mancini and it paid off. Liverpool stuck with Rodgers and they're improving. Gives Moyes a full summer to ship out those who SAF should've shipped out ages ago and some money to bring a few in like City/Chelsea did last summer and then see what happens in 2014/15.
Last edited by smashdad (Wednesday Feb 2014 16:23:54)