Re: dj pay packets

303 abuser wrote:

i'd hate to side with flares on anything, but it seems to me that it's a lot easier to be a competent dj than a competent producer.  especially with the advent of digital dj'ing.

Yup

Surely it is much easier to be a producer with products such as Ableton, Cubase etc than in George Martin's day.

Big Fella wrote:

Surely it is much easier to be a producer with products such as Ableton, Cubase etc than in George Martin's day.

i'd say so.  but as someone who's spent about 6 months learning ableton, i feel like i'm just touching the surface of the skill set needed to create anything that approaches listenable.  i'm pretty sure i could teach my wife to mix on a serato controller in less than a week and sound as good as your average jock.

So DMS is Flares?

God bless.

Big Fella wrote:

It's definitely a lot easier to build a studio capable of producing professional sounding dance tracks now.  That said, it's still extremely difficult to produce genuinely good ones, but's comparatively easy to be a competent DJ, find and download some good ones and put a set together that will rock a good crowd for a well produced and promoted party.

Not sure if Grant or Smashdad will allow that opinion to be expressed though.

"the muscular world of the Bedrock Board" - Grant, August 2014.

Wonder how much time and cost that young lad Garrix spent on his monster hit Animals?

dogmanstar888 wrote:
Big Fella wrote:

It's definitely a lot easier to build a studio capable of producing professional sounding dance tracks now.  That said, it's still extremely difficult to produce genuinely good ones, but's comparatively easy to be a competent DJ, find and download some good ones and put a set together that will rock a good crowd for a well produced and promoted party.

Not sure if Grant or Smashdad will allow that opinion to be expressed though.

It was your rudeness I picked up on, I think there are merits to both.

Big Fella wrote:

Wonder how much time and cost that young lad Garrix spent on his monster hit Animals?

how much does a ghost writer charge?

Grant wrote:

If people are rude to me I'll be rude back, but with more style.

And for the record - this is not flares.  You might find this hard to accept, but there is actually more than one person out there who'll stand up when attacked for expressing an opinion ...

dogmanstar888 wrote:
Grant wrote:

If people are rude to me I'll be rude back, but with more style.

And for the record - this is not flares.  You might find this hard to accept, but there is actually more than one person out there who'll stand up when attacked for expressing an opinion ...

Be rude back and more offensive is what you mean, it certainly wasn't with more style.

It's a compliment to be compared to Flares on this board.

Grant wrote:

So DMS is Flares?

God bless.

haha i just assumed from the general tone.

Grant wrote:

Be rude back and more offensive is what you mean, it certainly wasn't with more style.

It's a compliment to be compared to Flares on this board.

I know what I mean thanks.  Are you the kinda guy who likes to tell people what to think?

Compliment or no compliment, I am not flares.  But if he stands his ground when faced with moronic attack - and doesn't need safety in numbers to do so, then good for him.

dogmanstar888 wrote:
smashdad wrote:

Go on then fella, crack on - what's on my new mix?

1. Steamcut - Boring [NTrop]
2. Harun Karabulut - Miserable [AAAAH Records]
3. Jake Slazenger - Stupid Wanker [Planet Mu]
4. Slava Flash - How Dull [Avanti]
5. Moe Turk - Predictable [Nin92wo Records]
6. Ted Dettman - Moron [Human Garden Music]
7. Fabio Guarriello - Fuck Off [Diamond Rec]

Who was it who said, "It is better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.'?

Sure as fuck wasn't you...

Absolutely stand by my original premise - being able to produce a tune doesn't make you a DJ.

The two sets that stick out in my mind as amongst the worst I've heard were by producers - and of those that I rank highly I think they were all by individuals known first and foremost as DJ's and who have help in the studio when they produce something.

And of all the gigs I've been to none of them would match the top nights I've had dancing to a DJ...

Last edited by smashdad (Wednesday Aug 2014 15:34:44)

yes  stoneface & terminal are trance djs but have said they will play prog and also requests. they are really big hear in cabbage land so we are all really happy.