Topic: Orlando

Absolutely fucking horrific

Maybe rebooting the thread will keep the tone a bit better.

Last edited by benson (Wednesday Jun 2016 18:29:15)

Re: Orlando

Spot on idea.

My apologies if I had misspoke, or overstated with my reply.

Another thread that almost caused havoc. Almost as bad as the Betoko thread ffs

erik.b wrote:

What a read was deplorable, it's disgusted me. This place is a fucking horror show.

The future ain't what it used to be.

JonQPublik wrote:

pretty sure it wasn't your post so don't worry about that.

Beats'N'Pieces wrote:
erik.b wrote:

What a read was deplorable, it's disgusted me. This place is a fucking horror show.

It has its moments Matt

JonQPublik wrote:

It wasn't. I'd been uneasy from fairly early on.

It's a horrific fucking tragedy. The music we all love has incredibly strong roots in gay clubbing from the 70's and 80's. John himself has a strong association with Heaven, both with bedrock and before that.

A good family friend has very strong associations with Stonewall and has given a passionate speech about what happened.

Can you imagine what it must have been like in there? Out for a night out and 50 people dead. Absolutely fucking horrific.

The gun control chat is relevant. Large parts of the rest was not

Last edited by benson (Wednesday Jun 2016 19:38:31)

I've not seen what was posted but have read reports else where. Waiting to catch up with Hannu.

But homophobia and rascism will not be tolerated here. End of.

And if the horrific events over the weekend have been used to make jokes, that is deplorable and abhorrent behaviour. Show some support, empathy and care for clubbers that went to enjoy their night and didn't make it home.

Warnings and bans will follow where appropriate.

SimonR

Yeah, that went a bit rails. Apologies to all, I was frankly sleeping on the job, been a bit busy this week.

Didn't go so well for other mods either:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/orland … e-internet

Gallows humor can have its place but, yeah, some of the posts in that thread were well beyond the pale (not to mention lacking in humor, gallows or otherwise).

I was actually pretty surprised by Zacksters first comment. Though Id still have a beer with him...maybe.

Wish I was old and a little sentimental.

Am I to understand some of the regular cunts on here horribly misjudged the tone of their response to a mass slaughter? 

Imagine my surprise...

Jimmy Somerville's short, poignant, powerful video says all that really needs to be said.

smashdad wrote:

Am I to understand some of the regular cunts on here horribly misjudged the tone of their response to a mass slaughter? 

Imagine my surprise...

Jimmy Somerville's short, poignant, powerful video says all that really needs to be said.

It needed to be called out this time, even some of close to the bone comments on here are funny but at times like this it's not. It's not remotely funny. As well as being unfunny it was boring and obvious.

I'm all for a joke, all for some questionable humour, but joking about a massacre isn't funny at all. Not even allowing the dead dignity. Public can see things posted on here, it's not right.

Last edited by Beats'N'Pieces (Wednesday Jun 2016 22:54:05)

The future ain't what it used to be.

What did I miss?

Prog God

Beats'N'Pieces wrote:
smashdad wrote:

Imagine my surprise...

It needed to be called out this time, even some of close to the bone comments on here are funny but at times like this it's not. It's not remotely funny. As well as being unfunny it was boring and obvious.

I'm all for a joke, all for some questionable humour, but joking about a massacre isn't funny at all. Not even allowing the dead dignity. Public can see things posted on here, it's not right.

Couldn't agree more mate - glad I didn't see the original thread and hope the daft cunts trying to be funny within it either reflect on their effort or fuck off

...apols for arguing BS earlier. The gun control debate can get heated. I missed this evening so can't comment but did see some pathetic stuff posted earlier today. No need really.

I don't think you said anything off liquitech1 but im just as guilty for my responses. As hard as it can be not to dive into politics. A thread like this deserves empathy.

Wish I was old and a little sentimental.

Oh dear.

I've not checked the forum all day so I don't know what was posted. I just hope my fire triangle analogy didn't cause offence.

But to be honest if you can't read between the lines then you're an idiot.

Quite enjoyed the fire triangle thing myself.  Made sense, it was just a neutral view of a problem with three core ingredients.

this is a decent watch. it avoids the political side and concentrates on the culture and the cause -

..Cenk is great, Jamie. The girl he has on his news show is great also, helps that she's a little minx. YoungTurks is probably the best news source from over there.

btw, some thoughts from Jeremy Scahill on G4S. Think there was trouble with that company either during the building of the Olympic stadium in London or during the olympics. Pretty sure it's them.

Scahill - “Re Omar Mateen and G4S: Let's assume what we know is the full story (which may be the truth): He worked low-level private security. Staff at these posts often are lead to believe that they are bad asses with a ton of authority. It's embedded in the culture. My friend's son was strangled to death by a rent-a-cop at Best Buy in the 90s. G4S tells its employees they are part of this epic global firm, that they have a real mandate.

How is this culture of where Mateen worked not relevant? Why is this fact insignificant? The sub-cultures of private security -- both International and at shopping malls – can be very dangerous. In some ways, the lower paid rent-a-soldiers working in war zones are more scary than the tier 1 former Special Ops guys. Whatever the full truth turns out to be, Mateen's work at G4S is relevant and should be examined fully. Curious how some seem to want to dismiss this whole cloth.”

simonr wrote:

homophobia and rascism will not be tolerated here. End of.

*cough* Patrice Evra *cough*

smashdad wrote:
Beats'N'Pieces wrote:
smashdad wrote:

Imagine my surprise...

Couldn't agree more mate - glad I didn't see the original thread and hope the daft cunts trying to be funny within it either reflect on their effort or fuck off

Sleep easy children: Smashy will keep you safe.