Re: Before the Flood - National Geographic

roberto wrote:
Dan Harwood wrote:

But, so far we've had the driest start to Autumn in years?

That's the concerning thing. Every year we get new records for weather extremes.

You can have sceptics on both sides so I call bullshit on that friends of science article. If it's such a trend that is so obvious, then why have thousands of scientific voices / minds not been influenced by it?

I'd suggest human beings of all intellects have the potential to be most contrary Rob - I give you as the most obvious example the Catholic Church - palpable nonsense of the most extreme kind but nonetheless still holding sway over hundreds and hundreds of millions of people...

For what little it's worth, I fully accept that climate change is happening - it would be absurd not to - after all, it has always happened and will still be happening on an on-going basis long after humanity has shuffled off its current perch.  There is however a peculiarly human arrogance to assume that what is happening now is solely and uniquely mankind's fault and solely and uniquely within mankind's permit to put right.

I like comments like 'we need to be more like Denmark or Sweden'.

If you travel to the middle east or parts of Asia and many other places around the world, do you really think they give a flying fuck about climate change?

Yet all of us retards are separating out recycling and driving economical cars,  considering our carbon footprint, while the majority of the world outside of Europe doesn't care!

Sweden is the worlds most boring country full of the worlds most boring people.

They are a good looking bunch though tbf so its swings and roundabouts I guess.

ukhursty wrote:

If you travel to the middle east or parts of Asia and many other places around the world, do you really think they give a flying fuck about climate change?

Yet all of us retards are separating out recycling and driving economical cars,  considering our carbon footprint, while the majority of the world outside of Europe doesn't care!

Ah I love this argument. I won't do anything because every single person in the planet isn't yet on this.

Homegrove wrote:
ukhursty wrote:

Ah I love this argument. I won't do anything because every single person in the planet isn't yet on this.

Its true though,  when I first travelled to the middle east and Asia and saw everyone driving V8s and not giving a fuck about pollution / recycling ,  I was definitely enlightened.

I thought everyone gave a fuck. They certainly do not,  and I can't see them changing anytime soon. Why should we be taxed and cajoled by our governments in the name of going green and climate change.

I do thing climate change is happening due to industrialisation, it seems pretty obvious with the amount of shit we chuck into the atmosphere on a daily basis,  but I don't see why we should be penalised for it when many others don't pull their weight.

It will only work if it's a concerted effort, not just Europe.

I put our aircon on for the entire summer here. I open the windows at the same time because I don't like the dry stuffy air.

'When there's life to be lived - and God Damnit I've lived it.

ukhursty wrote:
Homegrove wrote:
ukhursty wrote:

Its true though,  when I first travelled to the middle east and Asia and saw everyone driving V8s and not giving a fuck about pollution / recycling ,  I was definitely enlightened.

I thought everyone gave a fuck. They certainly do not,  and I can't see them changing anytime soon. Why should we be taxed and cajoled by our governments in the name of going green and climate change.

I do thing climate change is happening due to industrialisation, it seems pretty obvious with the amount of shit we chuck into the atmosphere on a daily basis,  but I don't see why we should be penalised for it when many others don't pull their weight.

...so you know the western world started industrialisation but you've no idea why we're the first to champion clean practices?  Righto

liquitech1 wrote:
ukhursty wrote:
Homegrove wrote:

...so you know the western world started industrialisation but you've no idea why we're the first to champion clean practices?  Righto

But of course we are good people and are green right? None of us use air travel or other transport methods in our high consumable lifestyles? How clean actually are we compared to the average individual in a less developed country?

..you're right, green practices are a myth. All an illusion. God damn illuminati.

..Humfer's shared paper is indeed intersting. Can't find any info on the writer of it though. Could be any gadge within those circles really. Can anyone confirm if he's on the paid list of skeptics?

Are sceptics paid, or are they just disgruntled because they aren't on the lucky panel of paid (working for a considerable bursary) scientists?

Prog God

Dufunks done well here with a 6 pager. One post then scarpered when the sentences had words with more than two syllables in.

Dan Harwood wrote:

Are sceptics paid, or are they just disgruntled because they aren't on the lucky panel of paid (working for a considerable bursary) scientists?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti … al-effort/

I posted a link earlier in the thread showing this "dark money" comes from Exxon, Chevron etc etc

So, climate denying Scientists are actually engaged in a form of money laundering? If this is true, surely they can lose their titles/positions of teaching /discredited etc?

Prog God

Don has hired someone who thinks its all made up to harass the Chinese, by all accounts.

Dan Harwood wrote:

So, climate denying Scientists are actually engaged in a form of money laundering? If this is true, surely they can lose their titles/positions of teaching /discredited etc?

..yeah, you would think.

So, there's reasonable doubt or the pro-camp are clearly not happy to give up their own lucrative revenue stream and keeping schtum. I've not watched an Inconvenient Truth but has any one gone back and fact checked any of the claims made in it? It's ten years since its release and that's surely enough time to update the piece?

Prog God

..I'm sure those who get found out are shunned within the community when it comes to any papers they put forward again. If a "lucrative revenue stream" funds more detailed research then yes, I'm sure the pro-camp also keep schtum. Then again, climate scientists aren't politicians so mud slinging would just be a waste of time & energy.

Last edited by liquitech1 (Wednesday Nov 2016 14:22:04)

My carbon footprint is very low indeed, a model citizen if there ever was one.

I encourage others to do the same.

smallman1 wrote:

You're killing us all due to the amount of methane pouring from every orifice thanks to broccoli consumption and talking absolute bollocks 24/7. Plus, you may not have melted any ice caps, but you melt at least 20 faces every day.

------------
From a sliding glass door, through white curtains fluttering in the breeze, comes Bruno, Guetta's elegant manservant. The two exchange a few words in French, and Bruno re-emerges a few minutes later with salads.

Hilarious!

millsy23 wrote:
smallman1 wrote:

You're killing us all due to the amount of methane pouring from every orifice thanks to broccoli consumption and talking absolute bollocks 24/7. Plus, you may not have melted any ice caps, but you melt at least 20 faces every day.

That's how old Smallman1 rolls!

which is more rational? the people who say "it'll all be fine!" and carry on as normal, or the people who say "we're screwed!" and carry on as normal, but with a bit more recycling.

we can't know what the global temperature would've been had we not existed but i doubt anyone would argue it would've been higher.

personally, i think it's a definite possibility that the whole climate thing could enter a new phase of mayhem in our lifetimes, so you may have well enjoy the craic while you can imo.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Martin Luther King
Legs are very frickin important parts of the woman, thin ankle and tense bop is a must.
MateGreen

All together now, it's all a hoax.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ene … 2f803fd22c