Re: Pierre's Book Corner

La Nausee wrote:

The denouements of Kinger's books can sometimes disappoint. Probably cos he's spent about 800 pages building up to it!
Just finished his Mr Mercedes trilogy which were not bad. More mainstream thrillers than any mad horror stuff.
Read John Connolly's A Song Of Shadows.....easy read and very good.

Going to turn to my old friend JM Coetzee next for the Schooldays of Jesus...which is a follow on from The Childhood Of Jesus which I enjoyed. About some new/post apocalyptic world (Hispanic) where kids are sent to an unknown country to start over.
Yes, it sounds like a right hoot.

Have you read King's Revival Phil? Your basic SK book for this century, then at the end he bites you and bites you and bites you. A year later I still sometimes think of the ending and feel unhinged. Lovecraftian horror has always had that effect on me.

Just got the latest Rebus in the mail, but since I'm halfway through the reread I'll save that one until the end.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

Homegrove wrote:
La Nausee wrote:

The denouements of Kinger's books can sometimes disappoint. Probably cos he's spent about 800 pages building up to it!
Just finished his Mr Mercedes trilogy which were not bad. More mainstream thrillers than any mad horror stuff.
Read John Connolly's A Song Of Shadows.....easy read and very good.

Going to turn to my old friend JM Coetzee next for the Schooldays of Jesus...which is a follow on from The Childhood Of Jesus which I enjoyed. About some new/post apocalyptic world (Hispanic) where kids are sent to an unknown country to start over.
Yes, it sounds like a right hoot.

Have you read King's Revival Phil? Your basic SK book for this century, then at the end he bites you and bites you and bites you. A year later I still sometimes think of the ending and feel unhinged. Lovecraftian horror has always had that effect on me.

Just got the latest Rebus in the mail, but since I'm halfway through the reread I'll save that one until the end.

I did indeed, my friend. The gadge can write a story. Haven't read Rebus in a good while. Might revisit him.
Child 44 is a good yarn - plenty of disturbing shit in that to keep you awake!

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

Great, through article on Stephen King.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/8/4/16 … -explained

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

Books that I have read and enjoyed (4/5 stars or better, IMO) since the beginning of the year:


The Rook by Daniel O'Malley. Solid 5 stars. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Reminded me a bit of Jasper Fforde's work, without being so heavy handed. I've got the sequel Stiletto in my TBR stack.

The Prey of Gods by Nicky Drayden. 4 stars. The beginning and middle were great, but the last third was wonkish.

What is the What by Dave Eggers. 5 stars. I rarely read non-fiction, but read this was highly recommended. It was a great read, but not a feel-good kinda great.

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. 5 stars. I've been slowly reading everything I can by him. Fantasy is my favorite genre as of late, and Sanderson seemingly can do no wrong. He's a fantastic world builder.

Fellside by M. R. Carey. 5 stars. Creepy, but fab. Thankfully no "Caged Heat" desperation going on (mostly set at a Women's prison). The Girl With All the Gifts was a great read (have the DVD of the adaptation so I can get my just on. Waiting for The Boy on the Bridge paperback to be released.

Desperation Road by Michael Farris Smith. 5 stars. Absolutely wonderful. A slow, methodic, brilliantly written American southern gothic novel. His novel Rivers was also fab.

Spaceman of Bohemia by Jaroslav Kalfar. 4 stars. Inventive, humorous and heartfelt. I'll definitely read anything new by him.

I've read 20ish books since January, but these are the only ones I'd recommend.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu. Fantastic. Science fiction that, imo, turned a rather unexpected and unprecedented psychological horror within the last 100 pages.

Now I have to find a copy of book 2, The Dark Forest.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

Flogging to death themes that I like (as I tend to), Ive been reading brain and heart surgeon books (biographies):

Do No Harm by Henry Marsh is perhaps the most memorable book Ive read in years. He talks about the highs and lows he has experienced as a brain surgeon. Seriously good reading 9/10

Fragile Lives by Stephen Westaby is probably just as good. The highs and lows of being a heart surgeon this time. 9/10

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

Few decent ones in the past year, more on the "well-written thriller" tip:

Jane Harper - The Dry
James Lasdun - The Fall Guy
Noah Hawley - Before the Fall
Tana French - The Trespasser
Hideo Yokoyama - Six four

Even Zackster wouldn't chart this bollix.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

jules72 wrote:

Flogging to death themes that I like (as I tend to), Ive been reading brain and heart surgeon books (biographies):

Do No Harm by Henry Marsh is perhaps the most memorable book Ive read in years. He talks about the highs and lows he has experienced as a brain surgeon. Seriously good reading 9/10

Fragile Lives by Stephen Westaby is probably just as good. The highs and lows of being a heart surgeon this time. 9/10

Where's your review on that Ben Carson?

Also did you read When Breath becomes Air?

Even Zackster wouldn't chart this bollix.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

Slabs wrote:
jules72 wrote:

Flogging to death themes that I like (as I tend to), Ive been reading brain and heart surgeon books (biographies):

Do No Harm by Henry Marsh is perhaps the most memorable book Ive read in years. He talks about the highs and lows he has experienced as a brain surgeon. Seriously good reading 9/10

Fragile Lives by Stephen Westaby is probably just as good. The highs and lows of being a heart surgeon this time. 9/10

Where's your review on that Ben Carson?

Also did you read When Breath becomes Air?

I did read When Breath becomes Air...quite sad (about a surgeon that dies of cancer), and interesting in parts, but not quite in the same league as the two I reviewed above imo.

That Ben Carson has good reviews on Goodreads...will give that a try. I bought that Nurses Bio too...released in the last month, name escapes me but lined up next on the Kindle. Curious what she will say about the NHS as my starting point is that its not just a matter of chucking money at it Corbyn style.

Last edited by jules72 (Thursday Aug 2017 17:34:57)

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

The Blade Artist by Irvine Welsh, the Generalissimo gets his own sequel and it's as mad and daft as you'd expect.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

jules72 wrote:

I did read When Breath becomes Air...quite sad (about a surgeon that dies of cancer), and interesting in parts, but not quite in the same league as the two I reviewed above imo.

It was okay, but ended a bit abruptly. Bit lazy of him not to finish it.

Even Zackster wouldn't chart this bollix.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

Amps wrote:

The Blade Artist by Irvine Welsh, the Generalissimo gets his own sequel and it's as mad and daft as you'd expect.

Welsh ain't half rinsing his characters. Thought it was a poor book, Amps. A Decent Ride was far better (even though he was using one of his oldies again).

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

Indeed, I think 'daft' is the word. I'm not sure where else you take his most one dimensional character though.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

The missus bought "The World of Ice and Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones" which is like an encyclopedia, history book of the universe. Gave it a quick twirl while taking a shit and found myself hooked. Fun read if you're geeky about GoT, has the whole history of each of the Targaryen kings, along with the back stories to the events that lead up Robert's Rebellion. Also chapters discussing the history of each of the houses, the night's watch, the wildlings etc as well. Decent artwork too.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

LOL that is absolutely fucking horrific to admit. Rhouses you didnt have much left after the recent Uniqlo horror show and other revelations but this has left you with zero cred. None. Nothing. Zip.

Last edited by Dermatron (Wednesday Aug 2017 10:48:11)

Vegetarians can all FUCK OFF

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

haha. Hannu and Zackster all over the "The World of Ice and Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones", I bet. And for what it's worth, those Targaryen kings are intriguing. Gave the book a proper 4-5 hours on my Independence Day holiday yesterday, no regrets.

Something more in line with this thread though... the missus powered through all of Noah Hawley's (Fargo creator) books. She loved them. I'll be back with my reviews once I've read them.

Last edited by Diminished Responsibility (Wednesday Aug 2017 12:09:15)

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

Reading this ahead of breakfast there on Saturday -

http://www.marquessa.co.uk/media/ecom/prodxl/1359042956_l.jpg

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

smallman1 wrote:

Reading this ahead of breakfast there on Saturday -

http://www.marquessa.co.uk/media/ecom/prodxl/1359042956_l.jpg

Like the restaurant, that book is ten years out of date.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

That's the kind of nonsense I usually come out with Grant.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

No it isn't.  The restaurant had some vague credibility ten years ago when that book was written.  Ten years on, the restaurant is a pile of shit and that book doesn't reflect what you'll experience at all.

Happy birthday this weekend all the same, Ed.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

Lol, cheers dude!