Topic: CD promo's - genuine or fake?

Hey maybe you guys can give me some advice - I've tried the Hooj board, but no luck!

There are a lot of promo's kickin' around on CD as well as vinyl, especially on ebay. I no that some are obviously genuine for example the Spooky - 'Belong' that I brought which is in a case with cover design and info. by Deviant.

But, what about these 'In House' promos - usually a white piece of paper with tracks written on in black. I'm new to this so maybe it's obvious, but are these genuine or just copies made by people straight from vinyl. For example I purchased a Paris & Sharp CD - 'Aphrodite' with 8 tracks on it (including some nice Marcello Castelli mixes to boot - and all for 75p)!

Some that I own have release info on others don't. I'm still trying to get hold of my amp / speakers from my mate so I haven't been able to DJ yet, but I've never discounted CDs as being useful - especially as there more practical for home listening as well - and obviously at prices sometimes as cheap as 75p, its seems theyr'e quite good for the money! It's just that I don't like the idea of forking out lots of money for the more expensive ones if its just lining the pocket of someone who's copied them next to nothing. Neither do I want to rip off artists and labels.

Any advice appreciated. Apologies to those at Hooj.com who may have already read this on their board and wondering if their experiencing deja vu!!!

- Jay -   
<i></i>

Re: CD promo's - genuine or fake?

Most promo's come with simple photocopied documents, thats the nature of promo's.

No REAL fullproof way of telling if they are real or fake I suppose unless you are just pretty knowledgable in that department.

<b>gecko</b>

www.phatplastic.com

<i></i>

Shake your shammy like a bitch on heat!

I'm no expert, so this is just speculation, but sound quality should be an indication - any genuine promo should be from the original masters and have very high sound quality, where as if it's copied from vinyl then you should be able to hear the vinyl noise (pops/crackles etc). Doubt anyone would go to the effort of getting rid of those to sell stuff for the prices you're talking about...

Just my thoughts. Welcome to the board btw   
<i></i>

Cheers for the welcome majortom and for the advice so far. I reckon i'll use my judgement on fakes and genuine CDs. It's a shame you can't see what your buying on Ebay!!!

- jay -
<i></i>