Topic: Decks Help...

Right gang....

Need some advice. Got about 400pounds to spend on some decks and a mixer. My lot are trashed.....

Do I a) Go for Technics at all costs (second hand from loot, ebay etcetc) though my budget trims the list somewhat - bearing in mind I'll have to try to get a mixer too.... OR

b) Look at something like this : 2xGemini PT2100 + Gem PS626 Mixer, Carts, Leads, Phones, blahblah for 399pounds?

Anyone else know of any good deals around?

Any advice gratefully received - btw, I am only a traincrasher at the moment   
<i></i>

Re: Decks Help...

well...

i did similar to option (b)... citronic PD1s and a gemini 626... and then 6 months later decided to upgrade.  while the decks were ok and learning on them taught me a few good tricks, they sure ain't technics quality and it shows as soon as you're past the trainwrecking stage.

if you buy cheap decks you WILL grow out of them, its just a matter of time...

so if you're sure you're gonna stick at it... beg, borrow or steal and definitly go for technics!!!

for

From my experince, it's never a good idea to settle for second best.  It'll end up costing you more in the long run.

Put the

I don't really have the 400quid in the first place, it's all that's left on my flexible friend - it's just I'm sick of having a big pile of records and not being able to play. Only one deck works at the mo and that's pretty knackered (the wobbliest tone-arm in the world......ever )

I do hear what you are saying tho'

(and Xeb) - not sure I'd be using them 24/7 mind.... no great aspirations to play out either at present other than 'jamming' round mate's...
<i></i>

check some of the packages on www.sapphires.co.uk

Plenty under

It all depends on whether its a long term thing or just a bit of fun. If your serious, then definitely save and go for technics. If its just a now and again thing then may I recommend Citronic PDQ`S (OR pd2`s if your afford a bit more). I have a pair of PD1 and they are reliable and strong enough for mixing. Will serve well, might not take a battering with beer and stuff however and in a small room with a loud sound you may get a lot of feedback.

As for mixer, Citronics MSX1 works for me. Quality mixer!
<i></i>

I'd go for the second hand Technics route, as they are built so well, as second hand pair will still probably be in very good working order. I am thinking of selling mine (due to lack of time to practise), but unfortunately for you, I've already got a potential buyer lined up.
<i></i>

Technics all the way, but sure to give them a test-run before you spend any money on them   
<i></i>

if your serious and you can it's got to be TECHNICS.
<i></i>